Monday, September 5, 2005

Grace-Based Parenting?

Parenting...

Yes, I know... That's a weighty topic with LOTS and LOTS of angles, takes, depths to be plumbed, arguments to be made... in general... a controversial topic... but a topic with which most married couples must grapple at some point.

As a relatively young parent myself (my first is only 5 months old), I have no advice to give, but I do try to keep an ear to the ground for those dispensing advice. Funny thing.... advice is always easier to dispense than to accept, no?

Anyway, I was visiting with friends this evening and had the book Grace-based Parenting recommended. Actually none of us had heard of the book before, but the book was recommended to a friend... Before we go spend $20 on an "advice book", just wondering if anyone else out there has heard or or knows anything about the book. I did go look it up on-line (hence the link) but thought I'd pose the call for testimonials.... if anyone out there has any........... Thanks!!

1 comment:

The Savage said...

Comments as originally appeared in Xanga:

Posted 9/5/2005 11:04 PM by SeeYou

Sorry to not have anything to add...actually, I do have the book on my shelf...I've browsed it. I wanted to read it cuz I am often at a loss when trying to understand people that use the term "grace" just a little too much (IMO)...but have yet to make it a priority book.

Also IMO, if I were able to "do it all again" with parenting, the only parenting books I would refer to would be Duties of Parents by JC Ryle and Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp...oh yeah...and To Train Up A Child by Michael Pearl.

_________________________________

Posted 9/6/2005 3:07 AM by Savage

Heh. I have the Pearl's book. Now that's an interesting read. Relating (tangentially) to the de-masculinizing of our boys, I found their comments about little girls playing with baby dolls vs. Barbies and the differences in the role-play these dolls engender fascinating. But I digress.....

About the GBP book, I would appreciate the opportunity to peruse it before coughing over $$ for it. I should warn you though, any book coming into my house with the word grace in the title has a strong chance of missing its owners' bookshelves for a l-o-n-g time.......... LR can elaborate on that trait of mine for you! ;-)