Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finding short-cuts (aka strip piecing)

So I've realized that making a quilt the finished size I want requires a mere 80 blocks. Which means a total of 640 - 1 and 1/2" squares (320 each of 2 colors), in addition to the 21 other pieces per block. And I think that's nuts!!

Even though the directions say "sew a 1" block of contrasting color to the end of strip #'s 5, 9, and 12;" I'm thinking there *has* to be an easier way. Why not sew the 1 1/2" strips of contrasting color together before cutting them into units? For that matter, I could sew the contrasting "single block" strips to the wider strips before cutting *them* and save myself even more tiny seam sewing.

So here we are. Half-way into the "contrasting squares" process...

...getting ready to sew on 1" blocks, 80 at a time. This I can handle. (I think!)

There's a great set of step-by-step strip-piecing directions here. And more helpful tips here.

No comments: